3/30/2016

Brinley and Bre's Bedroom Makeover

If anyone missed it back in October my best friend and her 8 year old daughter moved in with us after a divorce. It has been amazing to have a "sister wife" around to help with house and kid stuff since Bryan works so much, and for the most part the girls get along really well(the are just like siblings some day are awesome and other days they want to kill each other lol)  

Well we decided that since we have two kids sharing a room we needed to have bunk beds, this lead to a complete room makeover that I personally think turned out amazingly wonderful. The girls love their new room and so do I, it just makes me so happy! 


This leopard print wall is my FAVORITE part of the whole room.
I found the idea on Pinterest and instantly fell in love! We had a local muralist come out
and do it for us. 

The beds that started it all! The bench in front of the window was a yardsale
find that I recovered in a cream upholstery fabric. The bedding and curtains from Target and believe
it or not the bunkbed itself is from Walmart I was leery to buy it but it had awesome reviews and the
quality is AMAZING. The bins under the bed are on wheels and we use them for toys and shoes. They came from HomeGoods. 

The wall above their dresser. Another favorite feature. The light switch plat, letter B and the lampshade are all covered in gold glitter.
It was really easy to do, I covered them all in Mod Podge,  sprinkled a bunch of glitter on them,  then let it dry, then spray it with a glitter sealer so it wouldn't flake off. It's worked really well so far! 

Dresser which was a  $100 flea market find (the dresser is made by Bassett so we got a heck of a deal!) that we re-did to match the bed. It was an old ugly espresso color. But with a little love it is the perfect piece in this room. First we took off the hardware and filled any rough dents/dings with Elmer's Color Change Wood-Filler , then we slightly sanded the whole piece to just give the primer and paint something to grab onto. After that we primed it with Zinsser Primer (we actually used the spray paint version but I can't find it on Lowe's website) and it was amazing, it covered so well and only took one coat. The actual paint was some shade of white that I can't remember the name of. All I know for sure was that it was by Sherwin Williams, we did took coats of that (latex base by the way), then we covered the whole thing with Minwax Gloss Polycrylic to give it some shine and protect the finish. I learned the hard way with our dining room table that a Polycrylic is a MUST with any furniture piece. For the pulls we just sprayed them with satin nickel spray paint, I was going to switch them out but decided against it. The drawer pulls I wanted would have cost more than the dress itself and that's just crazy! The teal rug is from Target and the pictures are from Hobby Lobby. 

The next big project starts this weekend and I can't wait to share pictures! 




No comments:

Post a Comment